Residents will be aware that EDF Renewables have submitted a proposal for the Garn Fach Wind Farm just outside Llaithddu. 17 wind turbines are included in the proposal which would be capable pf generating renewable energy for 69,000 homes once a connection to the national grid is established.
If approved EDF renewables will offer an annual community benefit fund for Garn Fach of £5,000 per MW which would mean £425,000 per year for local projects.
Wind farms are difficult issues and so I was very keen to hear residents’ thoughts on the proposal. EDF ran their own consultation and further information can be found edf-re.uk/our-sites/garn-fach
I am delighted to share the following:
Survey response was 11.3% with EDF's 3rd consultation response at 5.7%. 63% Against. 29% For. 8% Unsure.
The survey also asked residents to submit their proposals in how they would like to see the Community Benefit Fund distributed.
How would you like to see the Community Benefit Fund Spent?
- Help for young farmers to buy homes
- Local helps to buy schemes
- Grants for local people buying homes
- Compensation for individual properties (opposed)
- Improved busses
- Money for the Chapel
- Money for Llanbadarn Shop
- Money for local Young Farmers Clubs
- Money off Bills
- Compensations Schemes (opposed)
- Annual cash grants for locals (opposed)
- Investment to improve mobile reception
- Improve local facilities.
With a Welsh Government decision due next year, I will continue to liaise with EDF to ensure that residents’ concerns and suggestions are heard.
I am always delighted to discuss constituents concerns on local issues, meetings are available by appointment, please do get in touch to arrange a convenient time.